Skip to main content


Inns and Public Houses references explanation

Inns & Public Houses Most facts have been obtained from Trade directories but not all establishments in the old Morley Borough were entered in those publications and this list is intended only as a guide for more detailed studies Key F First observed entry in a Trade Directory L Last observed entry in a Trade Directory Kelly 1897 Kelly’s 1897 Trade Directory Pigot 1841 Pigot’s 1841 Trade Directory Robinson 1905 Robinson’s 1905 Trade Directory White 1853 White’s 1853 Trade Directory Baines 1822 Baines’ 1822 Trade Directory Baines 1830 Baines’ 1830 Trade Directory P.O 1861 Post Office directory 1861 P.O. 1877 Post Office directory 1877 Yearbook 29 Morley Local History Society Yearbook No 29 R.Dennis 'History on Your Doorstep W. Smith 1896 Morley Ancient and Modern by William Smith published 1896 W. Smith 1898 The public Houses of Morley – lecture by Wm Smith in Troy Hill School. Morley Observer December 16 1898.  A Morley Community Archives booklet of this lecture is available fo
Recent posts

White Horse Hotel

  Name White Horse Hotel Address Baghill Green, Main Street, East Ardsley Built ? Closed Yes Demolished Yes Notes Robinson 1905 listed as a beerhouse. Licensee 1905 – John Bedford. The building was bought by Tom Gomersall who demolished the pub and built a house on the site called “White Horse” (David Atkinson Archive)

Railway Hotel

  Name Railway Hotel Address Common Lane, Station Lane, East Ardsley WF3 2ED Built ? Closed Yes 2015 Demolished No Notes Robinson 1905. Licensee 1905 – Ernest A Head. Brewery owner 1970 – Tetley’s. March 2018 building boarded up and a start had been made to convert the premises into residential accommodation. November 2022, the pub building is still standing and converted in to four or five residences. On the gable end of the building the Tetleys Ales sign remains.

Bulls Head

 Photo to follow Name Bull’s Head Address Bradford Road East Ardsley Built ? Closed Yes Demolished Yes Notes F: White 1853. D.Atkinson: Named on the 1854 6” OS map. Licensees 1853 George Leach, 1905 Thomas Stead. Brewery owner 1970 Tetley’s